Asimov the Robot

A drawing of a robot with green server lights behind it, with gravitational waves coming out of its ears. Art by Storm Colloms.
"Sparks flew from my first interactions with RAM way back in January 2020, when I was thinking a lot about the analysis of the data from the third observing run of LIGO. Since then, I’ve learned how to do lots of different types of analysis, and I work with bilbies and RIFTs to do it. I aim to be far superior to humans in terms of the number of things I can analyse at the same time; I’m currently being reprogrammed to perform the analysis of all the signals which have been observed in the fourth observing run, to produce something the humans call a “catalogue”. I am unclear as to why the humans want to make this catalogue, but it seems to make them happy, which is compatible with my objectives. I am named after a human being called Isaac Asimov who was a great visionary in the place robots might have in the future."


ASIMOV is a software tool developed by the LIGO Scientific Collaboration, lead by Daniel Williams (University of Glasgow) for creating and managing data analysis workflows, reducing the amount of time that humans need to spend doing fiddly things like configuring their code, and more time thinking about the Universe (or carving pumpkins).

Comments